View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 06:23 AM
QuiltingNinaSue

I think there is value in doing genealogy studies to know the background of inherited diseases through genes. I was an 'orphan annie' raised by foster grandparents who gave lots of love but little knowledge of birth parents back ground....except they were orphaned at an early age. Mother was rejected by relatives at birth and again at five years old. My foster grandparents took her to raise when she was five years old. Dad came by on the way to Boys Town and met my Mother. They married in late teens and had a boy and a year later me...divorced when he entered service in WWII. Brother gave me 600 names and I joined Ancestry. com and found 2000 more names in the family and my computer crashed destroying all records. Even though I was 'published' in Ancestry.com, I had to pay yearly dues to correct my contact information so I dropped it all.

A cousin on Mother's side has done extensive research and saved it on computer disks. None of our three children care about genealogy of our background. Husband's Mother did trace theirs back to Ireland and printer out hugh books on it, which for a cost of printing we have one, but outdated now. I would rather quilt than research it anymore. Wondered about DNA, but never have the $$ to do it. Results seem more standard than true to me. Loved the stories I found in the research, but life marches on, and its seems less important.