View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 05:03 AM
Ninnie
Power Poster

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a grave side service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends,.so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back-country. I was not familiar with the backwoods, got lost, & being a typical man, didn't stop and ask for directions. I arrived an hour late & saw the funeral director was gone, & the hearse was no where in sight. Only the diggers and crew were left & they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down. the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play. The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played my heart out like never before for this man with no family or friends. As I played "Amazing Grace". the workers begain to weep. We al wept together. Then I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full. As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, " I never seen nothin' like that before, and I have been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."