View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Teddybear Lady

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I just noticed that you have pin-basted the top to batting using straight pins. Quilters typically use safety pins to pin-baste for a couple of reasons. One is that it keeps the layers together more securely; straight pins have a tendency to become dislodged as you manipulate the quilt sandwich. Another reason is so that you don't get stabbed when using safety pins. If you switch to safety pins, you ***must*** be careful about removing them when they come near to the walking foot. I missed a safety pin once and it got hooked onto the back of my walking foot without me realizing it. By the time I discovered the problem, my expensive Bernina walking foot had been ruined.

You might want to consider spray basting or glue basting instead of pin basting. These methods offer continuous contact among the 3 layers so there is less chance of a layer shifting, which can cause a pucker or tuck.

Another tip of mine is to heavily starch both the top and the backing before layering. This stabilizes the fabric so they are less likely to stretch or distort while you are quilting.

I can't see your backing fabric in the photo. You want your backing fabric to be larger than your top. Usually it is also larger than the batting.

Edit: One more thing I just noticed in your second photo. Even if you were to replace the straight pins with safety pins, there are not enough of them. A rule-of-thumb is to secure pins not more than the space of a fist from each other in any direction. There is a lack of pins along the edges especially. Edges are prone to stretch and distort with handling.
I learned all this the hard way. Wish I had asked more questions when I first started quilting. I'm so glad that I have this quilting board to learn from.