Thread: sew clean
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 02:50 PM
Jennifer23

I think this is the video you saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTv1zbTNmbY

I haven't used this product, but speaking as a chemist, I wouldn't use it in the way he does. I've never had a problem with the blue markers (Mark-Be-Gone, or whatever) coming out with just water. I don't recall the marks ever coming back, either. The Sew Clean would therefore be fixing I problem that doesn't exist, which doesn't seem like a great way to spend my money.

I would also be concerned about using a product that he says can remove Sharpie marker in place of plain water, when water will do the trick. I'm guessing whatever is in that product is strongly oxidizing, and I would worry that over time it could weaken the fabric. I would use it if I wanted to remove a stain that wouldn't wash out, but it's really overkill to use it the way he was.

I do think that putting plain water in a little syringe or dispenser bottle of some kind like he did would be a good way of removing blue lines; I'm going to add this to my "try it" list! However, I would not use the Sew Clean in this way unless I was planning on washing the quilt fairly soon.