Thread: Guild Library
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 03:00 PM
Jennifer23

My old guild had a glorious library, and I used it all the time. There were lots of books, as well as some specialty rulers, templates, and a computer with EQ and a couple other quilt programs loaded on it. We had a our own room (shared with the building manager, but he didn't disturb our stuff!), so it didn't have to be packed up at the end of each meeting.

Are you the librarian? Our librarian would "present" a few books at each meeting. Sometimes they were new ones, but often they were just picked from the library. She would talk about what you could find in each one, and pass them around for people to see. This really encouraged people to use the books.

We also had a "library challenge" each year. At the May meeting, if you had made a quilt from a book in the previous year you could enter by showing the quilt and saying what book you had used. All participants were then entered in a draw for a prize. It was fun to see what people had done with the books!

Edit to add: For magazines, we had a subscription to Canadian Quilter which was kept permanently. There was a sharing table for magazines donated by members; you could take them home and enjoy them, then return them (or not) as you wished. They weren't catalogued or checked in/out. If space had been limited, I suspect we wouldn't have done magazines.

Last edited by Jennifer23; 02-16-2018 at 03:03 PM.