View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 03:48 PM
quiltmouse

Watson, it may not be your horse, but I'd bet big money that it looked nothing like that in the coloring book!!!

NZ, lovely ORL.

About 3-4 years ago, I started "Birch Branches" from Judy Hopkins big book of 50 quilts. I was using up some not-pleasing-to-me Pink FQ and Yellow/Gold FQ, and some dated calico navy yardage. I had trouble with the combination blocks, then ran out of some bits. Couple years later, cut some more bits, sewed a bit, ran out of yellows. Couple weeks ago, I'm like, "I want that bin back." Ha ha ha. The bin back, not the Q finished. I quantified where I was at. Completely out of the yellows. Grabbed a partially used FQ, of tiny orange flowers. Not right at all. It is a very scrappy quilt, I think I had 10-12 each varying hues pinks and yellows to golds. I thought, I want that Q out of here, and cut what I needed. They don't match at all, but they don't jump out at you, either. They read as "light gold" and blend right in.

Yesterday, I sewed 10 rows of 8 (10" blocks) together, and cut 1-1/2" stop border in light pink. Cut 4-1/2" strips, yellow, pink, 2 shades purple, and yellowish brown. Sounds horrific, but isn't. Sewed sets of the 4 inch border together. The stripe will also be the binding.

I had ordered a purple backing, but decided make a back, to use up a some of florals I had been given, and one I had bought for borders for this quilt, but used the stripes instead.

Now to this morning before work: I pressed the 2nd & 3rd piece of the backing. I pressed the pink border open, and accordion folded the quilt to pull from my lap easily as I add the border to the first side. I'm looking at this crosswise stripe, thinking, that sure would be pretty mitered. Ha. I'm told, if it can be made more difficult, then I will make it so.

At lunch, I sewed first border side on, allowing overhang for miter. Sewed connecting side, mitered first corner. Sewed next connecting side, mitered second corner. I was back to a long side, and my border wasn't long enough, so I left it flapping 12 inches.

I'll keep you posted.