View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 03:44 PM
petthefabric

The charity quilt group from the guild is using rail fence pattern this year. Rather than bring home more fabric, I've been choosing 3 fabrics from my stash. So far I've finished 4 flimsies and cut 2 more. Still have 2 to cut. This pattern uses about 1 1/4 yrs and can put it together in about 4 hours. The back is also about 1 1/4 yd.

The pattern is easily adapted for different amount and width fabric available. I make the block size to use up the whole width: if it's 42" wide, it'll cut 7" squares. If it's 40"---6.5" squares. The the width of the strips is calculated to make the strip set width correspond with the length. Some have had extra yardage so I make them 6x8 blocks. I just try to use as much of the yardage as I have. Some strips are pieced. The strips are rarely the same width, just so the total width = the length so they're square.

And if I have fabric's to make the back, I include it also. Someone else loves quilting & binding them.

So these 8 charity quilts will use ~15 yds fabric. And they can be patterns I'm not interested in anymore... 30's. Been there, done that.