Old 02-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Stefan

Originally Posted by Jabatrom View Post
Unknown age and/or date. Last used in the 50s. Love to get more info on it.
Hi,
I just picked up another green New Home LLC but labeled Free Westinghouse and it's flaking off lots of delaminated green wrinkle finish like used in WWII and the 1950's.

Tip the machine up and look at the serial number and model numbers just under the front lip of the platform or base plate. It could also be stamped in black ink with either Type J or Type H (heavy duty?).
From Janey:
https://www.janome.com/siteassets/su...anufacture.pdf

Find your model letter and then look for the year that your serial number was made.

My New Home had no light, the dirt in the mounting holes confirm that, and it was made in 1952-1953 as a model LLC.
My Free Westinghouse green machine had your exact light shape but painted green wrinkle/crinkle finish.
My tensioners are not in front like yours. They are on the side face plate to the left of your tensioner.
Your bobbin winder is not in the rear like my LLC's and part of the motor shaft.

My one green New Home has reverse and the front rounded plate shows that.
My trashed finish green Free Westinghouse has only one stitch scale up at the top and only sews forward.
The respective serial numbers are LLC 883,952 for the NH and LLC 838834 for the FW.
The NH came with an Allen Bradley foot control.
The FW came with a perforated round-holed screen cover on the foot control.
So, it appears they were made on the same assembly line in the same year range but are fairly different on some of the finer details. Maybe CD is right. There were possibly different options.

Your machine looks very different than those on thread 'new home for New Home' and mine.
LLC's appear to have a 'side lift' access plate. Yours is front to back and has a round needle plate.

Post what you see underneath. Both of mine say in the frame casting list it as a LLB 201-2 and on the next line in the casting is says 2.

It's a start for you but others have more expertise than me on New Home and Free Westinghouse machines.

HTH,

Stefan