View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 AM
OurWorkbench

I referred Stefan to this as he posted on one of the above mentioned threads about this machine and I thought I would comment on some of his comments.

Indeed, this particular machine would have been manufactured sometime between 1949 and 1952 according to https://www.janome.com/siteassets/su...anufacture.pdf

This machine is what is termed a long shuttle machine. It does not take the round type bobbins like Stefan's New Home or Free Westinghouse take. (It confused me a bit when he mentioned FW and I was wondering why he was talking about a FeatherWeight then realized what he was referring to.)

The manual Stefan referred to at manualslib.com is the same one that Jon referred to at ISMACS. The manual at doubleveil.net is for a National made machine. There are some similarities and some differences.

Very good advice when he said:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
When you think you have everything set up and threaded, only hand crank the hand wheel to see how things are working with some fabric like one layer of jeans.
Jamming a needle into a bobbin case under electric power is a no-no. Go slow at first. Don't force anything.
Breaking off a needle is not good.

Stefan
I would add that this machine has a direct drive motor and not belt driven. The correct direction to turn the hand wheel would be in a clockwise motion if you are looking at it from that end.

Frequently, due to storage conditions, the rubber 'pulley' that drives the hand wheel will have a flat spot and does not make for smooth sounding sewing. It depends on size of pulley, size of flat spot as to what the remedy would be.

The lettering on the lip of the machine looks to me as "TYPE J" I have no idea as to what it is referring to. It could company's terminology for the head, the plug or something else.

I agree that the finish is probably original. Yes, they could have different finishes or decals for the same basic machine. I have a Singer 66 and Singer 128 that have the original crinkle finish. They are both from 1950.

I think that if you follow the "Free" manual at ISMACS will get you pretty close to operating this machine.

Are you new to sewing? or just new to vintage sewing machines?

Yes, the foot controller in the last picture is like one that I have. Mine has different plugs to the machine itself. I see where the cord plugs into the base of the machine. I'm not sure if I have a plug like that. Hopefully, yours is the right plug.

Did I notice some additional accessories that came with the machine? Especially any needles? I'm uncertain whether these would take the 20x1 or 15x1. From my understanding you may be able to not put a 15x1 all the way and be able to sew if it takes the 20x1.

It appears threaded correctly. (Or pretty close from what I can see) The flat of the needle is on the right and is threaded left to right.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-22-2018 at 09:42 AM.