View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 11:20 AM
salmonsweet

Hi everyone! I just found this place maybe a week ago and am just floored by the wealth of information, inspiration, ideas and support.

I was born and lived most my life in Hamburg, Germany. I've lived in the UK since 2003.

So I'm self-taught. When I was maybe 12, my mom showed me how to fill a bobbin and go forward and back on her sewing machine. Then she let me loose on it with some sales fabric no one seemed to want very much, to find my own way as she had. So I created my first skirt... by cutting lots of triangles (because skirts are triangular, right?!...), sewing them together and knotting the tips on to a rubber band for the waist! It became my adventure skirt, for running around playing in the garden and house. And the first of my adventures into sewing stuff.

I made my first quilt when a student, a good 20 years ago. Chinese fans, from old bedlinen, cut with a self-made cardboard template, tailor chalk and chewy old scissors, cobbled hastily together and quilted (sort of) in the ditch. (Never got into rotary cutting until just this week! :-D ) Then I started a log-cabin, on a diamond shape, which ended up as a jacket for me because I got bored making blocks for a whole quilt. I wore that one through my uni years.

Then, no more quilts. I still designed and made clothes, knitted, then got into waaaay too much work in the law...

I changed careers, made time in my life again for fun.

Last year finally hexagons got into me. I've just finished hand-piecing twelve hundred of them (3/4'' to a side) and am playing with the quilting design for that one. Meanwhile, looking for something quick to cobble together for a break (yeah right), I discovered cutebuns' fantastic tutorial for one block wonders on these forums (thread titles starting "tip toe..." ) and registered, originally just to say thank you! I guess it's getting to me.... :oops: :-D

Glad to be here.