View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 08:08 AM
christina223

Ok so I pieced more than half of a full size quilt using the Craftsy thread and I have to say I like it. I'll try to include some photos of the threads side by side. The color of Aurifil is 2310 which I ordered a cone of and that is what they sent this spool of Craftsy thread with. I assume they were trying to match them and it isn't a bad match though they are different. The Craftsy thread is Parchment just for reference. Here is what I did and the results...

1. I cleaned out my machine to get rid of any existing lint so I could truly compare threads. The Craftsy thread did produce significantly less lint but it is not "no lint".
2. To feel the threads between your fingers the Craftsy thread is smoother to the touch than Aurifil.
3. Compare them side by side the thickness is the same and to the naked eye the Craftsy thread is slightly smoother.
4. I did not have to adjust either the top or bottom tension when switching from Aurifil to Craftsy and both produces beautiful stitches.
5. My machine isn't finicky with threads so that wasn't an issue that I can report on perhaps someone else who has a finicky machine can give some input.
6. Perhaps it is just the color difference but the Craftsy thread seems to have a sheen to it that Aurifil does not.

The strange thing for me is that right now the price difference is tiny when you break it down by the yard.
Aurifil $8.24 for 1422 yards = .579 per 100 yards
Craftsy $7.00 for 1200 yards = .583 per 100 yards

If my memory serves me well I think Aurifil is typically $10.40/spool but there is a big sale this weekend. I will be curious to see what the normal prices are for both threads.

Will I buy it in the future? Sure. Will I stop buying Aurifil? Probably not. This is all just my opinion but I hope this helps others. Can't seem to upload photos...sorry about that.