View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 05:01 PM
lmanna

Default Baby quilt - Elephant

Just finished this baby quilt for a friend of mine who is pregnant with her first baby.She requested a "simple" gray quilt with pink highlights. Her nursery theme is elephants. I am a better quilter than photographer

This is kind of sort of my own design...well, almost. More like a mish mosh of other designs.
1) The quilt itself was inspired by Alissa Haight Carlton's "Pink Greater than" quilt I saw online. Because my friend wanted a simple quilt I was concerned about creating too many seam lines. I drew out my rendition of the design on graph paper. I took my drawing to Staples and had it printed at the size I wanted the quilt to be. I then took a bunch of 11x17 pieces of vellum paper, taped them together over the full-size design and traced the design on to the vellum paper. Then I paper pieced it. This turned out to be much more cumbersome than I anticipated.I would much rather paper piece a teeny tiny block then a Huge one.

2) I borrowed the elephant from the free Michael Miller pattern called "Elephant Pop" and appliqued her to the bottom.

3) From a quilting perspective - again, being aware of her desire for a "simple" quilt I knew I had to be pretty constrained. I stitched down the stripe seam lines with a serpentine stitch and then just FMQ'd different sized hearts on the quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589756[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails alisa-babyquilt.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-25-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps