Old 02-27-2018, 01:03 PM
rryder

If you are FMQ on a domestic machine, not a dedicated FMQ like the sit down long arms, then there are several things that could cause this problem.: 1. moving your hands too fast in relation to the machine speed. 2. top tension too tight. 3. location of the bobbin can make some machines finicky when moving the quilt sandwich in one particular direction.

Based on what you've described, I suspect it is a combination of 1 and 2. Try loosening your top tension slightly to see if you get better results. You may have to loosen your top tension more than a little depending on thread--there have been times when I've had my top tension all the way down to between 1 and 2 while FMQ because that's what the combination of thread, quilt sandwich etc. needed in order to get good consistent stitch formation. You probably won't need to do that at this stage if you are using the same thread in the top and bobbin and if the thread is a good quality 40-50 wt cotton or poly like Aurifil, or Isachord. C and C Dual duty is also a good one to start with as it is fairly strong and medium wt. Use a 90/14 or 100/16 Topstitch needle with all of those when FMQ.

Also be super aware that when changing direction or making circles, spirals, loops, etc. the tendency is to speed your hands up as you go around the curve, that will cause eye lashing. You want to make sure you don't speed your hands up as you go around curves or change direction. And, make sure you are using a sturdy needle. I like to use a topstitch needle and even if I'm quilting with very fine thread I usually use either a 90/14 or even 100/16.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 02-27-2018 at 01:11 PM.