Old 02-27-2018, 02:31 PM
Rose_P

I don't think I can add anything to the many suggestions, but I will weigh in to say that I'd wash it if it's going into something that will be best to be able to wash regularly, such as a placemat or a dog bed. (Make "designer" dog beds and sell - $$!) I upholstered a headboard one time and had to buy excess fabric to match the design. Although the manufacturer recommended dry cleaning, I washed a swatch to test it, because I wanted to make placemats. It came out great and only shrank a bit as all of our quilting cottons do. It's a good idea to do that swatch, however. Start with a piece that you cut with a square ruler and use a permanent marker on it to draw an arrow with the grain line. What way you can measure before and after to see how much shrinkage there will be. You'll also be able to see if there's significant bleeding or fading. So much of this type of fabric is beautiful and would be very expensive to buy, so you could sell some of it on Craigslist, Etsy, eBay or Nextdoor and perhaps take the DH out to dinner.

Surely your DH is going to be pleased with your efforts, and if not, maybe you can comment on something he does that works as reciprocity. If mine asks what something costs, I translate it in terms like "less than a round of golf." Also, point out that if you stay busy with this stash it will keep you out of the fabric shop for a long time!

Last edited by Rose_P; 02-27-2018 at 02:34 PM.