View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 03:14 PM
bkay

Default Singer 778 problem

Well, I was just saying last week that I might repair my T&S if the gears went. It's one I've had since it was new. Well, the handwheel gear went. It's an easy repair, so I think I'm going to fix it.

It's at school, so I have not taken it apart yet. It's raining, so I left there. It's obvious that the gear is not turning and the handwheel is.

It was making noise, so I took some 30 wt. oil and put a drop where Cari suggested. Later, it did something strange when one of the kids used it. There was thread tangled in the bobbin case. After I fixed that, it still wasn't sewing, so I took off the top again and saw the handwheel problem.

What I'm questioning is what else might be involved. The gear went on the inside, not the toothed side. I wonder why it broke on the inside. I understood that those gears generally don't die. Terry has the part, but it has been discontinued. I have several dead T&S machines I could rob of that part, if it's true that that part rarely fails. On the other hand, I may not be able to get that part later.

Any suggestions or insight?

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 02-27-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: I accidently hit 'post'