View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 05:33 PM
IrishMom

Okay, I have my three blocks done (!) and just need to decide on my bonus block. All the blocks are 12.5.

The first one is a hummingbird from a book a friend gave me years ago - Go Wild With Quilts. To make a block you trace the template pieces and sew on the template lines. It's a good way to do one -- but really tedious to make five of them! The pattern calls for an eye stitched on, to be honest I couldn't figure out how to do it to my satisfaction. My machine is not an embroidery machine and I was afraid hand doing it would look awkward. I will leave it to your discretion.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589991[/ATTACH]

My second block was from a site called The Spruce. It's called a Sailboat Log Cabin, but it's then pointed out that it is put together more like a Courthouse Steps pattern.....so Sailboat Courthouse Steps?? I really liked this one as I live near Lake Michigan and grew up on the lake since my dad was huge into sailing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589992[/ATTACH]

And last is a Scrappy Flag. I hope you like the yellow border, my husband didn't get why it was yellow. I said so many flags have yellow cording and fringe and my daughter said it represents the "amber fields of grain"! Also, I liked everything being bright, which says summer to me.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]589993[/ATTACH]

I hope you enjoy them -- I'm looking forward to receiving your works and making a fun wall quilt!
Attached Thumbnails hummingbird-smaller.jpg   boat-small.jpg   flag-smaller.jpg