View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 01:04 PM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by Mizzhunybee View Post
....when I start stitching on to the fabric, like those first few stitches get all mucked up. I've adjusted my tension, changed my needle, my stitch length at 2 1/2, I'm at a loss. Any advice?
I don't know what machine you have. If it has a "needle up" position, it shouldn't be a problem. If it is an older mechanical machine, they used to teach that one should hold the threads behind the presser foot when you start a seam. We were talking about it at our get-together this morning and Diane mentioned that she saw instructions in the 301 manual which can be found at http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...d14d6145d0.pdf On the bottom of page 8 of the pdf (pg 16 of the manual) the paragraph above the ""NOTE:" it tells how to lay the treads so that when lower presser foot the threads will be firmly held. At the top of page 9 in bold is to make sure thread take-up lever is at its highest position. Then lower needle into fabric, lower presser foot, sew. She told us her mantra is "Needle down......foot down......sew" and it works for all machines.

You might want to try that.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.