Thread: Scraps
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Jane Quilter

Look again at what you are tossing. I save any strip that is 1" or wider and sort them into lights and darks which I sort into strings or strips. I save chunks (6" to 10") in another box. The remainder I cut into 2 1/2" squares, and I have a box for "ruined" 2 1/2" squares which are those that I cut wonky, or the corner is cut off, or is threading that I may one day cut into 1 1/2" squares. Now, to me, I cant use all those 2 1/2" because too many are similar so I have to Join "swaps" where we trade (50 of your same go out, and 50 different come back). Now I am ready to make a real scrappy. As for buying scraps, I have to confess, I buy fat quarters, and cut them into 5" squares and swap them by color category. They can be used as charms, or recut into 4 , 2-1/2" squares. Again, more variety. (All these swaps have been done on this board). As for buying random "scraps", I don't recommend it. I accept scraps to make charity quilts for Veterans. But this is very hard, you dont know what you are going to get, and you have to design blocks and quilts around the unexpected. Plus, you may get limited variety. I do this for charity, but not for myself or gifts. I recommend you "grow your own." Hope this helps. Wish you the best. Jane Q