View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Lauravanny

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
If you have scraps left of the interlock fabric, you could create a test strip to kind of test the seam. I would seam two strips of the interlock, sandwich it with some leftover batting and backing, and sew quilting lines 2" apart just as in your original. Then twist and pull on the strip every which way to see if the seam holds up against stress.
Ok so I tried this. I made a test piece and pieced and quilted it as I did with the quilt. Even with moderate pulling, the stitching was popping left and right!! I tried several stitch lengths and zig-sagging but nothing really helped. Both the piecing and the quilting are not holding up!!!

I considered for a minute requilting this, even in a different pattern if needed, using stretchy thread. But then I considered that if I quilt with stretch thread it will probably leave the regular thread I used for piecing even more vulnerable to popping!!

So I've realized I've done this all wrong. But I have two thoughts:

1. If I requilt it using regular thread in a traditional stippling pattern, perhaps having a less linear quilting pattern will prevent as much stress on any given line of stitching or individual stitch? In theory I could see how this could help.

2. Someone mentioned above that I could have lined the knit fabrics with a woven interfacing before piecing. It's too late for doing this before piecing obviously. But what about possibly using a lightweight fusible interfacing on the entire pieced front? I'm not sure how this would affect the feel of the quilt but it seems like this might be the most secure option???

Anyone have any thoughts?