Thread: Practice quilts
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 10:56 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I agree with PP. In addition to layering a new piece of fabric on to your practice piece, you can get creative with your practice batting. Go to the thrift store and get old blankets. You can piece together batting scraps and you don't even have to join them, just butt them up together. Do you belong to a guild? If so ask members for their batting cast offs (scraps from trimming down) to practice with.

Edited to add there are other ways to practice muscle memory for motifs. I draw a lot. If I have a motif I want to practice, I draw it over and over again until I can draw it without even thinking, kind of like signing your name. I also saw a blog once (can't find it now) where they set up a station for practicing the actual motion. They had two stations, one for movable machine (on a rack set up) and one for sit down. Wish I could find it as their setups were ingenious. It involved a pen and paper but then mounting the pen so you moved the paper for sit down and the other way was putting the pen in handles to mimic rack quilting.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-06-2018 at 11:00 AM.