View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Lauravanny

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Edit: Peckish has a point. What thread did you use for the quilting?
I used aurifil 50wt cotton for the quilting. But honestly I'm not sure what I used for piecing. I hadn't made a quilt in about 2 years and pulled some white from my thread stash. The label was gone and i did not consider my thread choice at that moment to be very important because I went into this project very naively. I started piecing on a day that my local quilt shop was closed so just went for it.

I'm curious how much the threads would snap on a regular quilt if I reproduced the test i did today with quilting fabric. I've never tested the tensile strength of my stitching with a regular quilt. I'm sure the stretch factor makes it way more vulnerable to snapping but I'm also thinking that if I pulled on my other quilts in the same way I could break some threads too. Just a thought.

Anyway, the most important thing to me is that this quilt is durable. I'm afraid I really screwed up this project. I quite honestly am feeling very overwhelmed by where to go from here. No matter what, it seems like the only insurance I can buy on this is to take it apart (thanks for the tip on that btw) and requilt with a stabilizer of some sort and a closer-knit pattern and a much stronger thread. I also think I will educate the family on treating it like the fragile thing that it is. All of that combined, I'm sure, will improve its durability. I plan to stick with the fleece backing, since the one request the family made was a soft and comforting backing. I just need to make it work while including that.

Thank you everyone for all of your valuable advice and time. I sure have learned a lot and am humbled by this experience.