Old 03-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Lauravanny

Default Stabilizing knit fabrics in finished quilt top

I am making a quilt out of apparel fabrics, mostly tshirt, but also flannel and thermals. I am trying to find the best way to stablilize this super stretchy quilt top so the stitching wont be so likely to pop with normal wear and tear. I am considering using pellon 911ff (this is the one that keeps coming up in my searches). I'm wondering, is it ok to use fusible interfacing by ironing it onto a finished quilt top before quilting? I didn't do my homework well enough before I started this project unfortunately, and I know Now that it would have been best to line my knits before piecing. You live you learn. But now I have to do my best to stabilize this quilt top. Has anyone ever fused interfacing at this stage, after piecing is done?

In another thread someone recommended considering using a lightweight muslin between the top and batting as an alternative. Maybe this would be better? I'm open to suggestions!

Thank you!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-07-2018 at 03:18 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps