View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I would use Retro Clean. It is available from Amazon, but here is their website with information about what it is and how to use it: http://retroclean.com/retroclean/

I assume these quilts have been washed in the past? If they have not been washed, the dyes may bleed if the quilt is soaked. If they have not been washed before, I would take them to a laundromat and put a single quilt in one of their large front-loading washers with Synthrapol. Wash in cold water, remove immediately from machine (you do not want damp fabric sitting on damp fabric for very long, as dye can get transferred). Dry on medium or low (not hot!) at the laundromat. If that does not take the stains out, you can soak in Retro Clean.

Whatever you do, do NOT use a washing machine with a central agitator. Those central agitators are very hard on quilts. Also, do not use a domestic front loader. They do not use enough water. A domestic top-loading washing machine is okay if there is no central agitator. If you use a top-loader, the best way to wash a quilt is to fill the tub with water and soap (or Retro Clean), stop the washer, add the quilt, and push down periodically with your hands. In other words, hand agitate the quilt. When washing is finished, drain and spin. Spinning is usually okay for a quilt. Add rinse water, hand agitate, drain and spin out. Use at least 2 rinses to get all of the soap out.

Edit: I looked at your posting history and found out that these quilts were collected from your parents, with some being from the 1980's and some older. You do need to be very careful cleaning these quilts. Are you thinking of selling on eBay? You may not need to wash them at all, as many of the quilts for sale there have stains. You just need to include the stains in the description and photos. This would be less work for you, and people who buy quilts on eBay generally will know how to remove the stains themselves.

Last edited by Prism99; 03-10-2018 at 07:48 PM.