View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 08:50 AM
AngeliaNR

Default Basic Instructions for Boxes of Strings

Basic Instructions for Boxes of Strings

Foundation paper is 4 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Center triangle is 4 1/2" at the base

Cut a template for your center triangle (I used cardboard).

Trace the template and cut your fabric triangle.

Center it on the foundation paper (I like to use a swipe of glue stick to keep it in place).

Add a light string to the right side of the upward-facing triangle and a medium/dark string to the left side. I placed a light string on first in each block for consistency. Note: I like my triangle points to float a little, so I don't lose them--my triangle point allows for this.

Continue until the paper is filled. All the blocks will have the same color orientation.

Trim block.

Assemble in columns; this makes it easier to match up your triangles into diamonds. Note that the columns are offset--one begins with an upward-facing triangle, and the next with a downward facing one, etc.

My quilt is 9 blocks wide and 20 blocks long. It finishes at 74" x 84".

My strings were from 3/4" to 1 1/2" (approximately) wide. If you wanted to do this with wider strips, you might want to increase the size of the foundation and the template. Just keep the same ratios: the foundation should be twice as wide as it is tall (finished size) and the triangle base should be 1/2 the total width of the foundation paper (finished).
Attached Thumbnails dscn2403.jpg   dscn2068.jpg   dscn2069-001.jpg   dscn2369no.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-13-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: PM