View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 01:32 PM
IrishMom

Default Quilting Sewing Machine Recomendations

Hi! So 15 years ago I took a sewing class and ended up buying a used Janome SL2022 machine. Very heavy and great with the basics. Over the years I have spent 95% of my time making quilts and 5% on 2 sun dresses and a few Halloween costumes.

The timing is starting to need adjusting more and more frequently and I am thinking instead of sending it in again that I should get a new machine. I feel my top thread is usually looking straight but the back thread isn't. I want a solid good machine but I don't have the budget for a really, really good machine.

So, I've started the research and I need some help and guidance. Since I have had just the one machine some of my questions will be very basic, and maybe even stupid.

First -- I'm thinking of $400 as the top of my budget. I want a machine mainly for quilting, so wide opening and the little table. I want a good solid metal construction. I want the needle up/down feature (I don't have that now). I don't use a lot of stitches and I would prefer my funds go towards a solid machine instead of a computer for a pile of stitches I won't use. Or is the computer just a basic part of sewing machines now?

Second -- it would be nice if the extra feet I bought for my Janome would work on my new machine. Are they universal or does each machine brand make different feet?

And, I do have a sewing machine shop in town. I haven't looked at new machines there since they have all the big expensive ones. I should check with them to see what selection they have. It's the place where I bought my used one and they are super nice, but I would like to be more informed before going in.

So any suggestions or advice and what you like and has worked for you. Thanks in advance for the help!