Thread: Neutral colors
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 08:02 AM
joe'smom

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
This is what I learned too.
So.....are we discussing neutrals here? Or low volume? What is the difference?
I have a low volume quilt on my bucket list, and have started collecting fabrics for it. Many of them are not what I would have called neutral. They're just very pale colors. Maybe it doesn't matter so much to me as long as I like the combination.
Always love to learn something new.
Low volume to me means a printed fabric where the print is sparse on a neutral background, so that the fabric functions as a background fabric from a distance, but the print adds interest close-up. This I differentiate from a background tonal, such as a beige on beige, which I wouldn't think of as low volume (though I know the concept of low volume is defined in many ways). This is Bonnie Hunter's concept of the 'neutral,' which is a non-traditional definition, imo.

The traditional concept of neutral means to me white, cream, ivory, beige, gray, black, and a very grayed shade of any color. Looking at a fan deck from any of the paint companies would be a great way to understand what is commonly meant by 'neutral,' as these usually contain a 'neutral' section, which contains shades from each color group.

Last edited by joe'smom; 03-15-2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: clarification