Old 03-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Trudii

Default Husqvarna Viking Interchangeable Walking Foot Question

I've seen a few people post about this using the search and everyone seemed to love theirs. Maybe I'm using it wrong or I got a dud but I'm not having luck.

I have the old non-interchangeable dual feed foot I bought 15 years ago or more (although there was a solid 10 years in there of not sewing). It is a trooper. But the allure of something new made me look at the newer interchangeable model. I put it on the machine and was really disappointed.

A straight stitch with a lowish pressure (4.5), the walking foot stuck sometimes in the middle of a row and definitely at each corner. My sample piece is not large, 13.5" square 9 patch of random HST, there is some bulk in places but nothing beyond a normal quilt. It was supported and everything.

I then tried my saved serpentine stitch which has an 8 pressure. Same thing, it would just get to a corner and stop unless I tugged.

Finally, I followed the instructions for the foot which said to use a pressure of 3, and did that with the serpentine stitch and then it moved a little better, but the stitching was abysmal on the underside it looked like the underside was literally just a string.

When all else failed, I put my old foot on with my normal serpentine settings (8 pressure) and it pulled the fabric through like a champ and the stitching was beautifully formed top and bottom.

I could potentially fuss with it more, but something seems off. This was horrible on a 13.5" square, a whole quilt would kill me with the getting stuck every 2-4 inches.