Old 03-16-2018, 11:23 AM
smokeythecat

Default Presser foot lowers slowly on Singer 99-13

When I put the lever down the foot doesn't lower along with it, it kinda glides down. Like if you've ever seen a piano with an anti slam keyboard lid. It's just come back from the shop and I guess they didn't think it was an issue or they would've fixed it but I see in videos that other people's machines don't do that. I decided it was probably decades old dirt and unscrewed the screw on top and took out the rod there (arrow 1), and cleaned the grime off it and the attached spring with alcohol, and put it back in with oil at arrow 2 like there should be (I'm actually in a different state right now and of course forgot to take a picture of my machine before leaving, and don't know what the parts are actually called, but had the oiling diagram saved on my computer), and also cleaned where i could reach of the part at arrow 3. If there was a change it was minimal. I stuck a couple q tips inside where the rod came out of and there was black stuff that came off but I didn't use alcohol on those ones. Why not? I don't know. I was tired yesterday. So I think I'll clean inside of there when I get back home, but is there something I'm overlooking? And anything better to use than alcohol?