View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 07:11 AM
Feathers-N-Fur

Originally Posted by sef0181 View Post
She didn't mention a budget, but when I started looking, I was kind of drawn to the Jukki HZL-F600 (being able to drop my heel and cut the thread sounds amazing!) or the Janome Memory Craft 6500P (Janome is the only local dealer) if I were going to be purchasing something that could do a bit of everything. I think if it went over $1000 I would feel so guilty I'd pay for most of it myself. Let's say under $1500? She just invested in a $3000 Janome (not sure which) that is designed more for embroidery and less for quilting, so if, in theory, I wanted to embroider something, I have access to a machine.
I know that straight stitch machines are most common for quilters, however I want to try applique techniques and would need a zig-zag stitch, if I'm not mistaken?
The biggest complaint I have with my Brother are 1) the foot pedal has little speed control 2) I barely had enough room to maneuver an oversized lap blanket 3) it was impossible to even try to free motion quilt very much
To me, portability means it will fit in some kind of sewing machine bag and isn't much more than 35 lbs.
I love my Juki F600. It is hard to live without that thread cutter in the foot pedal when using my travel machine. It doesn’t have as large of a harp as the Janome 6600, 8.5” instead of 9”, but I have quilted several king size quilts with mine, both walking foot and fmq. Mine was brand new from a local dealer for $1000. Same dealer offered me a used Janome 6600 for $1500. As much as I love my F600, if I were shopping right now, I’d spend the little extra for the Juki FX7. It wasn’t out yet when I got mine. It has some nice upgrades over the F600.