View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 07:10 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Marilynnc View Post
Thank you, Prism99, for this great thread! I just bought EQ8 and have played around with it a bit, but I need some lessons! I've watched the overview from OnPointQuilter, but I'm wondering if the book "EQ8 Lessons for Beginners" might be sufficient (it's less expensive)? Have you seen the book and would you recommend it?
One of the reasons I stuck with EQ7 was that, when EQ8 came out, all the EQ7 books went on sale. So far the books have not been of much help to me. This is because I find it very difficult to learn from printed, step-by-step directions. Video has been much easier for me in terms of learning EQ7.

What do you mean by the overview of EQ8?

Are you at a point where you can create a quilt in EQ8? If not, then the video lessons called "Shoot for the Stars" is the equivalent of the EQ7 videos from Kari Schell that got me started. The EQ8 set is on sale now for $25. If you are unsure, try signing up for the equivalent EQ7 series "Catch the Waves" that is free. Some things will be different, but it will give you some idea of the basics such as how to draw a basic pieced block, how to create a quilt using that block, how to color the block, how to save a quilt to the sketchbook, etc.

If you are at a point where you can do the basics, I suggest watching as many free video tutorials on EQ8 as you can. There are some on Youtube. Also, I don't know if you realized it, but the OnPointQuilter also has some short tutorials on her blog that you can access here: https://www.onpointquilter.com/apps/search?q=eq8&page=2 . If you scroll towards the bottom and click on the links, some of them will be ads for her classes, but others will be short tutorials on how to do specific things.

I am biased because I seem unable to learn from step-by-step printed instructions. For me, the reference manual for EQ8 would probably be more useful because then I could look up the specific questions I have about how to do specific things.