Old 03-24-2018, 07:58 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Default Anyone bought an Olfa cutting mat recently?

I am thinking about getting a new mat for my cutting table. Although the cutting mat that came with my table is still in fine shape (after 15+ years!), I noticed recently when using my Olfa rotary mat that my rotary cutter seems much easier to use on the Olfa surface. I have to press harder on my big mat.

Anyhow, it seems like a luxury, but I am thinking of getting an Olfa mat to place on top of my existing mat. Things change so fast these days, I am wondering if the newer Olfa mats are as good as the old ones (I bought my Olfa rotary mat many years ago). I have read that the lines are better now, but that the mats themselves are thinner. Also, I have read several reviews that complained about terrible outgassing that does not stop. How long does a new mat have to be aired out to stop smelling?

I am thinking of getting the 35" x 75" with clips to hold the three pieces together, since my table is big enough. I saw in the reviews that a lot of people duct tape the backs together so they don't have to use the clips. This means the mats are not reversible?

Or should I get the 24" x 36" mat? Seems to me that would be big enough for my largest June Tailor mat.