View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 06:38 AM
Julezee

Default Your Bernina treadle conversion

Hi John, you made it sound so simple, you must be pretty skilled!! So your machine is a Bernina 1008? I'm not familiar with it but I'll do some research. I have one of each of the older models, the 530, 730 and I just acquired an 830. These machines are amazing. I grew up using old black Singers. Had no clue of their models or how to manage them. My neighbor is a skilled Bernina technician who spent many years with the company in Switzerland and when the factory changed from making the models that could be repaired to the cheaper versions and was also sold to an Asian company, he was able to obtain a solid inventory of parts and support equipment and could probably build a Bernina from scratch. He does stay pretty busy with tune-ups and repairs. His shop is attached to his home. 1. What motivated you to do the conversion? What were your biggest obstacles? How did you choose your treadle base? Any pointers? I haven't approached my neighbor about my desire to convert one of my machines yet, he's so busy. Any help you are willing to offer I'm happy to accept. Thank you in advance and you rock!!!