View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 07:50 AM
weezie

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
Originally Posted by weezie
I have a short arm machine (Janome 1600P) on a Grace Next Generations frame. I've been reading lots lately about people not being happy with the short arm's narrow available quilting space. I can't get a longer machine right now, if ever, but I spent yesterday researching long arm machines anyway (just for fun). From what I saw, a stitch regulator seems to be pretty darn nice; Janome has a stitch regulator available for $499.00.

I have not done much practicing with the machine and I'm not any good at quilting with it -- yet. I am wondering if having a stitch regulator on the machine would make a big difference or not so much.

I appreciate whatever knowledge you share with me about it.
Janome doesn't have a stitch regulator. The only short arm you can get one with is Bernina. My friend and I tried it out at a LQS and were very disappointed. We both have Janome 6600's and found out they are so much better. With push button instead of foot peddle it is just as good (actually better) than a stitch regulator. The main point of a stitch regulator is to keep the machine going at a constant speed and when you move your hands the needle moves. It is still possible to get uneven stitches. If you use a knee lift lever it does the same job of stopping the needle when the presser foot is lifted. My advice would be to save your money until you can get a machine with a longer space.
Yes, they do have one. Sew-Vac Direct and other sewing machine retailers offer it (with photos) for sale. The machine I want it for is the high speed 1600P DPX, made primarily to go on a Grace quilt frame. I have enough money to purchase a long arm machine, but refuse to do that until I can learn to use the short one (9" sewing space - possibly called a mid-arm) that I have with some degree of success.