View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 10:02 AM
TheMerkleFamily

Welcome to the board! Great "must know" ideas already listed.. my $.02

Before I list anything else I must emphasize how very important having the help & wisdom found on this quilting board has been been for me and I'm sure it will be your best resource as well!

- expect it to be a costly craft
- 3 most important things so a machine works it's best is to always use good quality thread & needles and the proper bobbins (never go cheap on these three things)
- quality of fabric matters - not to imply cost always = quality
- accurate cutting is necessary to have accurate results - invest in a good cutting mat, rotary cutter and rulers (try to stay with all one brand of rulers)
- always, always, always do a test to check for proper seam allowances before diving into the project as it's easy to be 'slightly off' but that multiplied becomes 'way off' when putting it all together. And use the fabric/thread/needle that you'll be using in your project to test.
- patience, patience, patience and practice, practice, practice
- expect that it will take longer than you might initially calculate to 'finish' your project

Personally, I have learned the most by sticking with a project to see it through to completion - forces you to figure out the stages of the process and get practice.

My first project was a simple chevron pattern baby quilt - easy and perfect.

My second project was a more complex design and push of my skills - it came out well (not perfect but just fine for me!)

My third project that I'm working on now has taught me the most - it's the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt - On Ringo Lake. Bonnie's mystery has really taught me to measure & cut precisely, to ensure proper seam allowances, the importance of having the right tools (example: a specialty ruler) and, not to forget, how to select colors/fabrics for a project which is not always as simple as you might think!

I think a great way to learn is to be active in the different "swaps" on here and certainly ask questions and monitor the board because there is a wealth of info exchanged on here regularly.

Have Fun!

Christine

Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 03-27-2018 at 10:06 AM.