View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 08:43 PM
ThreadHead

Originally Posted by Joeysnana View Post
I just got a Brother PE 770 embroidery machine and have a lot to learn! I have been using the size 11 Organ needle that came with the machine. How will I know when a design is denser and may require a larger needle, e.g. 14? What signs do I look for that my needle is not the right size for the design? TIA

For a dense design you need an extra piece of stabilizer under the design. If my design size is thick and larger than quarter, i slide an extra piece under the design.
I use window film as my first piece to lay my fabric on because it is sticky and cheap. It cost 45.00 for the roll, but it will last a life time. I've digitized over a 1100 designs and i've only used about half of it.
I hoop the inside hoop with the film, run a glue stick around the area, then lay my fabric down, not hooped. I then slide the stabilizers under the design area.
I use needle size 9 on very light weight fabrics, 12 on most everything else, 14 or leather for heavier fabrics like jeans. Just keep at it, it's fun.