View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting

Janome doesn't have a stitch regulator. The only short arm you can get one with is Bernina. My friend and I tried it out at a LQS and were very disappointed. We both have Janome 6600's and found out they are so much better. With push button instead of foot peddle it is just as good (actually better) than a stitch regulator. The main point of a stitch regulator is to keep the machine going at a constant speed and when you move your hands the needle moves. It is still possible to get uneven stitches. If you use a knee lift lever it does the same job of stopping the needle when the presser foot is lifted. My advice would be to save your money until you can get a machine with a longer space.
I don't understand the references to push button vs. foot peddle. The Bernina provides both methods of running the machine, but this has nothing to do with the BSR. The stitch regulator changes the machine's speed (the speed at which the needle goes up and down) to match the speed at which you move the fabric. This results in stitches with equal length. I have the Bernina stitch regulator, it works very well, and I love it. Many quilters have learned to quilt without having a stitch regulator, but most of us find that it is much easier with one. I believe that most longarms are sold with a stitch regulator, even though it is usually an additional expense.

As far as the stitch regulator for the machine and frame you have, I would ask if I could test it. Not all stitch regulators are created equal.