Thread: Making It Shiny
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 06:31 AM
Rose_P

If you mean cotton hand embroidery thread, I have not used it for quilting, but have old hand-embroidered items that have held up for many years in things like pillowcases that have had lots of washing. It does wear out sooner than the machine sewing thread in the seams of the same pillowcases, though. I have not tried to hand sew with machine embroidery poly thread, but have noticed that when I take a spool off the machine and wind the last bit back on it tends to have a noticeable twist that recoils as you handle it, and perhaps that would create problems. I use Thread Heaven or wax when I hand sew anything, but have only done that with regular thread. If you like the look of the shiny poly, you could create something the size of a potholder or mug rug and put it through the wash a few times. That would give you information about how it handles and whether any problems showed up early on. I have items that are machine embroidered and have been washed many times with no ill effects. Polyester fibers generally wear better than cotton and the worst potential problem might be that they could cut through the cotton fibers of the quilt over time.