View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Teen

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I believe white chalk pencil would come out. Why don't you test one on your batiks to see?

What concerns me is your plan for washing the quilt. You *never* want to wash a finished quilt in Retayne. Retayne will permanently set any bleeds. Retayne should only be used on yardage before it is incorporated into a quilt. Also, no one recommends washing a quilt in Woolite these days, probably because there are too many chemicals in it.

I recommend testing your fabrics to see if they are going to bleed. Just take a small piece of each fabric, soak in water, and lay on paper towels to see if any dye transfers. That will give you a good idea of what to expect.

For washing of the quilt, I recommend using Synthrapol (or Dawn dishwashing liquid) and *lots* of hot water. Domestic front-loading washers do not use enough water to dilute dye bleeds. Use a domestic top-loader or a large laundromat front-loader. Both Synthrapol and Dawn make a lot of suds when agitated, so use a very small amount if using a machine. Alternatively, you can use a bathtub and lots of Dawn. Here is a link to a website that describes how to get dye bleeds out of fabric; however, the instructions would work equally well for keeping dye bleeds from settling into fabrics in the first place. She has detailed instructions for using the bathtub in her PDF:
https://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/sav...ing-quilt.html
I learn something from you with every post. I sware, you are a quilting guru.

If this was my project, I would pre-wash all batiks before cutting.