Thread: Sewing space?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 04:09 PM
Kelsie

We retired about 1 1/2 years ago and decided to become snowbirds and bought a 36' motor home. My sewing machine stays up on the dinette table (27" x 40") when we are stationery. I use both the dinette benches to hold fabric or lay out newly ironed pieces, etc. My 12 by 18 cutting mat is on the end of the table behind the machine so I can stand and cut. The rest of the dinette holds a box with tools and rulers and often fabric. I work on one project at a time and have something tiny to piece for leaders and enders. I store my projects in the heavy plastic zippered bags that you used to get when you bought a set of bed linens, all the fabric for each project in it own bag. As I make a portion of a quilt I will store it in a zip lock and put it away. For example I have 200 finished "H's" but still need 88 more. I have only a few books and use the computer a lot for info and have a three ring binder that i use often for cutting instructions, patterns, notes on completed portions of a quilt, etc. I am resisting buying more fabric. I am making a pad for under the SM with an apron to hold the most often used tools. My bed or my couch back is my design wall. My ironing board is a 9" by 13" old wooden cutting board that has a small towel on it. I have three large baking trays. When making my log cabin I laid out the red strips on one and the cream on another and if need be put them together with the third on top. All tidy. When I was in Arizona I found a lovely group of ladies to quilt with. As my top got bigger I did some of my cutting (borders and binding) and ironing on their bigger tables and boards. I have one cupboard for fabric in the bedroom and two big straw baskets under the bed. I am lucky that my husband realized that it was important for me to be able to quilt and he doesn't mind eating on his lap most of the time. Sometimes I do clear the table so we can eat there. It is doable. I met another lady that has a sewing desk and a tall storage unit in the space in their MH bedroom that initially had two easy chairs. They bought that unit because of that extra 3' for her to sew in.