View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 02:24 PM
MistyMarie

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
I am coming late into this discussion. I think it is VERY selfish to hold onto all that fabric. There are many people who would love to use this for charity quilts.

It makes me think of the fairy tale about King Midas....or the toddler who gathers all his toys around him and then cannot play with anything because his hands are full.
I think she is definitely helping the local quilt stores stay in business. What she does with her purchases really is her choice. Now if the space was needed for something else and she was using it for a stash she wasn't going to use, I would think that was selfish. If she got the fabric for free and didn't share with others, I would consider that selfish too. However, it seems she is buying this fabric with her own money.

I have a very large stash, most of which I purchased myself. Mine is getting reorganized because I had to move it three times in the last few years, but I would be very distressed if I was called selfish because I wasn't willing to share my stash with others. I am mostly a dreamer right now, but I have plans for so much of my stash that I wouldn't want to donate mine to charity just because right now I am not using most of it.

(I have given away a bunch of the fabric that was given to me, but only when I believe that it will be used in a project and not just re-stashed into another person's "someday" collection.)