Old 04-18-2018, 08:13 AM
bkay

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
rotary queen, I too often wait a week to let others have a chance at it. I did that on my latest. And it had the happy event of a price drop. That settled it. It was mine.

bkay, Tell us about your latest 401 and cabinet. please.
Well, I ended up paying about $12.00 for it with the buyers premium. It's really dirty and you couldn't turn the handwheel. First thing, I removed the handwheel. It was really gunky under it, so I cleaned it. It turns easily without the knob. However, the needle won't swing yet. It just needs more cleaning. Also, the knobs won't turn yet. It's full of brown gunky stuff. The finish is generally good (no dings or missing paint), but it's a little bit stained from the dirt. I've cleaned it with gojo and it looks clean, but you can still see spots in the finish (DH couldn't, but I could). I will see if car polish will help it. The foot pressure knob has some little bits of rust, as do the other exterior non-chrome parts that Brasso did not remove.

The cabinet wasn't worth working on. It had been "antiqued" and the veneer was peeling. I retrieved what I thought would be the foot pedal. Since the 401 has that separate, unique plug for the controller, I thought it would be worth it. I ended up taking a crowbar to get to it and it wasn't what I was expecting. I took photos of the way it was in there, and will post in a separate thread. I stripped the cabinet hardware and put it out for bulk trash day.

The DH has been ill, so I've spent lots of time at the Dr., the pharmacy, the miscellaneous testing places and being a caregiver. So, I haven't gotten back to the machine to see what the results are so far with cleaning and oiling. I still have some photos to take of the controller from the 42 cabinet.

bkay

This is what it looked like when I started:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]593133[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1727a.jpg