View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 08:51 AM
Cheshirepat

Default Why is this so hard for me??

I'm feeling really dumb and unskillful. Everyone says it's just such an easy quilt to make and I'm just completely muffing it up!

Started cutting pieces for a "French Roses" quilt. Super simple! Fun to put together, right?!
5 layered rounds, simply sew 1/4" from the edge so it frays. (Yes I know about cutting off the extra off each round on the back in order to keep the thickness down.) But all I can do is get partway - and it *bunches* up like crazy and I'm sewing folds into the edge...and it looks horrible. I realize now all my quilts have been straight-edge up until now, and I realize why!

I have only been working on scraps to practice on (thank goodness). If I go Sloooowly and occasionally stop, needle down, and turn the piece I can sort of kind of get there, but it's no fun and it's taking Forever.

I'm using smaller stitches so that the edge doesn't come up when washed. I'm also planning to do 2x around the piece for added hold for the rag edges.I tried using a spray adhesive to make sure they stayed flat...that didn't seem to help. I saw others using a glue stick...

What other things can I do to make this happen? I'm really about ready to give up.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-23-2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps and copyright pic