View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Quilter 65

Default Feathered Star Stack and Whack Style

I try to learn something from every quilt I have done. Well, this is in spades. And probably not what you are thinking. Those pesky 1.5 HST in the outer border were the source of my headaches, not the feathered part. What I learned was to baste the edges and spray with water to take out the fullness of the bias, which I hadn't done, but will in the future. Never had a problem with that before but it was waving in the breeze after I measured and cut the final border to length. Then the panic set in, what to do with all this extra fabric because it had fit the border I had attached it to. I used three different methods of constructing HSTs and trimmed them all down with the Bloc Loc Ruler, which has paid for itself many times over. (Our guild challenge is to use Teresa Down Under's method of creating 48 HST at a time). I also used the pattern's author, Martha McCloskey's method for the center ones and trimmed them. I also experimented with two different shades of background fabric and I think that worked out well. Also used the S&W method for making the LeMoyne Stars and the fans in one of the borders. Then I used a fan in the corner made by the same method. The last picture is of the original fabric. If you want to make a feathered star, I highly recommend this pattern. Fits together like a glove especially where a lot of points meet.[ATTACH=CONFIG]593443[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]593444[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]593445[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]593446[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1561.jpg   img_1562.jpg   img_1570.jpg   img_1571.jpg