View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 01:49 PM
PamelaOry

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I like your block -

A lot of people - me included - make the HST (half-square-triangle) units - the red and white units in your block - slightly oversized and then trim them down.

Example: if the directions say to cut a square 2-7/8, we cut the square 3 inches - and then do the diagonal sewing - and then cut the squares diagonally - and then trim them -

When I cut the square sizes "exactly' - even when I sewed "a very scant 1/4 inch seam" - my units ended up skimpy (too small) - so I add plus 1/8 inch to the directions for those units.

Only one of your eight HST units has noticeable points issues - Now the question is - what happened with that one?

How did you make yout HST units? There are several ways to make them.

I still need to measure each section to see if it's the size I want it to be - it's easier to "adjust" as I go, then when the block is "finished"

Would you be willing to also show a picture of the back of your block? That's where we might be able to get more ideas of where that one unit is wonky compared to the others.
here is the back.

To make the hst I sewed two 10 inch blocks together crisscross 1/4 inch from the diagonal lines I had marked on them, then cut it giving me 8 hst per set. Then I used a 4 1/2 inch square ruler to trim them. I felt a bit wonky using the ruler as it is a new one I just got that has a groove in it to nestle the seem in for accuracy.

oops! Something went wrong with the upload, trying again...

Last edited by PamelaOry; 04-26-2018 at 01:57 PM.