View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 05:04 PM
PamelaOry

Thank you ALL so much!!
I couldn't believe it when I logged in and saw all the posts with so much wonderful feedback. I am thrilled, no really... LOL I am!

I'm going to keep this thread bookmarked and revisit it again after I go through and make some of the easier for me to understand changes. That way, I can glean from it again and again, as the information here is priceless.

Thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully respond to my request.

Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
...When sewing on the bias it often stretches, so the walking foot will help. Let the machine do the work, do not pull on the fabric. Instead press down on the fabric & let it feed thru the machine. Do a test sew & make sure the needle enters the fabric at the 1/4 inch mark or scant 1/4 inch. Accurate seams are a must when piecing. Use a seam guide.

When working with fabric that will have bias edges it helps to starch it before cutting & sewing. You can still starch & Press, not iron, your pieces. Pressing is just setting the iron down, picking it up & moving it & setting it down. Ironing is moving it across the fabric. That can stretch it. Pressing retains the shape.

Love your color choices. It's going to be very pretty.

Best wishes.
I have been pulling the fabric to try to get things lined up as I sew, I will try pinning first then press down as I feed through and see if that helps.
Also, I have never thought of the difference between ironing and pressing but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense!

Originally Posted by gshalom View Post
... Use the Amish principle...only God can make something perfect, and even God had to do a “do-over”. Don’t obsess...enjoy the journey.
I LOVE this!

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
Your quilt is terrific. Feather3 gave great advice. I found that my points were much better when I sewed them with the point pieced fabric on top. That way you can see where your needle is entering the fabric... just a thread beyond the point to allow for turning. Keep going!
What is the "point pieced fabric"?

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Not being critical here, just offering some advice on what I think could be your issues. Feather3 did give you some excellent advice.

It appears to me you may have both cutting and piecing issues... Otherwise sometimes you place your ruler on this side or the other side of the line - at least I do!

.... If I manage to keep my fabric lined up with the edge of the foot, my seams are a 'scant' 1/4" all the way along.

I also press my seams open vs to the side. I feel it gives me an overall flatter block but I also feel it makes it more accurate for me to match seams/points. When doing this, I place a pin straight down through the top pieces I'm matching up and then take the bottom section I'm matching and place the pin straight down through that piece. Hold the pin straight up/down while lining up that intersection top/bottom.

No one told me it was supposed to be difficult, lol.

'Press' on!
I didn't even think of paying attention to which side my ruler line is on...I will add that to my things to pay attention too.

I'm having a heck of a time keeping my sewing straight. Not sure why it keeps pulling to the left?

I think half the battle for me is won if I don't know ahead of time if it's supposed to be hard. LOL.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Pretty block! When cutting out your pieces, the line on the ruler should be used to measure not the mat. The lines on the ruler also should be on the fabric cut edge not over it for that tiny bit of extra fabric in your pieces. Test by sewing two squares together and measuring the finished unit to see if you are getting an accurate seam allowance. Cut your pieces on the straight of grain whenever possible. Pin any bias edges so they don't stretch as you sew.
I thought we were supposed to use the ruler not the mat, but then saw some tutorials where they are using the mat too. I'm not sure how to use the ruler on some of the larger cuts.

Originally Posted by lizzie3 View Post
This is the block that I plan to do next! It's so beautiful and I love Jenny Doan's easy instructions for any block.

Are you planning to do all of your blocks in the same colour scheme or are you going to alternate colours?

Keep it up, you are doing a great job!!
Isn't she fun to watch? I am using up the remainder of a jelly roll so have coordinating but different fabrics for the other blocks. I'm thinking of stopping at four and making a wall hanging, getting the points lined up is hard to do!

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post

When you are sewing your HST together, make sure you are using the 1/4" seam allowance from the edge of the fabric...instead of being straight on I tend to slightly "swing" into my stitching at the beginning and end of the seam..this little bit skews the seam allowance. Mindlessly sew a few pairs of fabric squares together...do you see a little curve in your stitching? If so this could be the problem. (Ask me how I know!) I think this is more noticeable with HST because the point isn't right.

So how to avoid this swinging? Sit squarely in front of your needle so that you are feeding the fabric in squarely. At the end of the seam chain piecing another unit through..this helps me keep the pieces in straight alignment. One of the reasons I like Bonnie Hunter's leaders and enders technique is because I always have something to chain piece and keep me straight sewing.

https://quiltville.com/leadersenders.shtml

This is a good tutorial, but notice that all of the seam allowance is nice and even.

https://www.connectingthreads.com/tu...Pin__D103.html

Your are coming along beautifully...enjoy this new hobby. I hope it will give you a lifetime of pleasure as it has given me!
I am swinging! Not at the beginning but at the end, I've been trying to keep the fabric going in straight but it's been a challenge. I will look at these and try using a leader/ender.

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post

The main thing is just to keep on piecing, and you will improve with every project. I highly recommend doing the Bonnie Hunter mystery each winter. She gives great directions, and my piecing has improved greatly from doing those mysteries.
I will check it out, I've seen the word "mystery" in other quilting related stuff... does this mean that the blocks are introduced over time?

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post

To increase cutting accuracy, it's a good idea to starch the fabric before cutting. Starch stabilizes the fabric so you get more accurate cuts. Starch also helps with bias edges, as it stabilizes the fabric so the bias edge is less likely to distort as you sew. You can use heavier starches, but even spray starch is enough to help with this step.
Is there a brand that is good to use for piecing? I have some "flatter" spray but I don't think it is starch.

Originally Posted by platyhiker View Post

5) After you've sewed a seam, you will sometimes find an intersection that is only slightly off. You can correct minor errors by resewing only the intersection involved, rather than ripping out and redoing the whole seam. If the point is cut off, you would have to rip out the stitching at the intersection and resew with a slightly smaller seam allowance. If the point is not quite reaching the intersection, you can leave the original stitching alone and sew the intersection again with a slightly larger seam allowance.

I find a walking foot helpful with feeding everything evenly.
I will try this and see if I can fix some of the off points, I hadn't thought of just ripping the area of the point, great idea!
I also didn't think to use my walking foot because I'm only sewing two pieces of fabric. It works to use it for that?