View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 01:06 AM
patricej
Administrator

the appearance of the back will depend on the embroidery you do.
if you do the multi-colored embroidery that uses satin or other fill stitching (flowers, for example) the back will be a mess.
if you use quilt-motif files, single-run motifs will look almost exactly as they would if you had done them FMQ or on a long-arm. the only difference is that there will be little knots where each motif finishes. (there can be more if the motif isn't completed in one full run.) if the top and/or bobbin thread(s) do not match the backing fabric the knots will be visible. you'll have to decide whether or not to trim off the little "thread flags" at each knot. i rarely do. i figure anybody who is bothered by them can spend the time it takes to hunt them down and snip them. if i do snip them myself i put a dab of fabric glue on each one and don't snip until that's dry. use a glue that won't wash out and that dries invisibly. the photo below is the back of a quilt i use on my sofa. top thread was red, bobbin white.

if you use a double-run motif, in addition to the little knots you will most likely have pin-dots on the back. the only way i know of to prevent that is to use the same color thread in top and bobbin.

the size quilt you should attempt will depend on your machine. theoretically i can do a king-size on mine because the hoops go up to 9-1/2" x 14" and the throat height should be enough. having just wrassled with an oversized twin, though, i think i'll divide anything larger into QAYG sections. i still need to experiment a bit more. it might be easier if i use polyester batting instead of cotton.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593646[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20180427_050202.jpg