View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 07:15 AM
bkay

I also agree with not building a stash. When I first started quilting, I wanted to build a stash. I spent about $75.00 at an estate sale about 3 years ago. I got a huge amount of fabric. We're talking 100 yards of fabric, easily + 2 precut quilt kits. I liked most of it and thought it would do well for scrappy quilts.

However, I've personally used almost none of it. I've given some away. I've given some for postage. I've used it for the quilting kids' class where I volunteer, but none of it for myself that I can think of. It's all good fabric, not necessarily coordinated, though. Also, I haven't made a scrappy quilt.

Instead of building a stash, I would consider deciding on a quilt. You said Jelly Roll Race. Start looking for fabric to make that quilt. You'll need fabric for the top, batting, binding and a backing. If the budget is very limited, you may have to piece the back as well.

I've found my best deals at estate sales. I've subscribed to estatesales.net. I'm not sure it is active where you are, but they advertise estate sales on craig's list as well. You are most likely to find usable fabric where you find sewing machines and quilts. So, I use those as search terms. I don't buy much fabric anymore (any hopefully, no more old sewing machines), unless it's big enough to be a backing or just some small pieces of fabric in colors that I might use in a block lotto. However, I've gotten really inexpensive rulers and patterns as well as finished tops and squares, which I enjoy. I've never gotten any batting, though.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 04-30-2018 at 07:17 AM. Reason: spelling