View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 09:18 AM
bkay

Default Pressing an applique piece

I made some 5 pointed stars for applique. I made them by using lightweight fusible interfacing and turning the stars to give me a "needle turned applique" look and wear-ability. On the two samples, I hand basted around the edges to "press" the star. Then, I ironed it onto backing and machine sewed it using a narrow blanket stitch. Hand basting the edge is time consuming. (I must be a slow hand sewer.)

I bought an applique pressing sheet, intending to just press the stars instead of basting them. I'm concerned that it won't work. As in, I won't be able to control the seam and keep it in the right place just using an iron. However, I'm not sure I want to sacrifice one for an experiment. (I only have enough interfacing for one more star). They are about 6". I have 10 stars made, but only one is basted. I'd really like to get this top finished and this is the last step before borders. Pressing would really speed things up.

I've looked at the YouTube videos, but they are not doing the "needle turned applique" I'm thinking about doing.

Anyone have experience with this that they can share?

bkay