View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 AM
bkay

Thanks, Prism. I wasn't planning on doing this. I had planned on using some "star" fabric where the original photo showed the appliqued stars, but I didn't like it. There wasn't a pattern for it, only a photo and the quilt shop is out of business. So, I'm not sure how the original quilt was made.

I looked into piecing, but that didn't look too great (Leah Day). I looked into paper piecing and the look and the technique didn't appeal to me (too choppy looking). I looked into real needle turned applique and figured I'd never finish 10 of them if I got through the first one. I didn't want raw edges on the applique, so I decided on this technique. On the first ones, I used white interfacing, which didn't work, so I trashed those (should have kept them for experimenting). Then I changed the blue fabric and bought some black interfacing. The black disappears much better.

This was the experiment. (I'm ripping it off to use it again to practice the blanket stitch on a lighter fabric.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593834[/ATTACH]

These are the ones I will use on the fabric shown.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]593836[/ATTACH]

I think it will look great from a galloping horse. But, I think you are right. I'll either have to sacrifice one or baste them all flat.

bkay
Attached Thumbnails exp-star.jpg   stars.jpg