View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 04:18 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

one of the reasons your ink will run is if the fabric was not pre-washed, if it is not (pfd fabric---prepared for dying) because it has sizing added, so you start with washing that out, then dry, press, attach your freezer paper. run through printer...set aside to (cure) dry for at least 24 hours...then (with a pressing cloth on top) press well with hot heat...set aside to (cure) again. 24 hours later re-heat-set, cool, then do your (color-test) to see if it runs...
and
not all printer ink is created equal...i have found when i purchase the (expensive) cartridges that are made for my printer the ink lasts...when i've tried the re-filled less expensive cartiges the ink runs all over...
even if you use bubble jet the ink sometimes will still run so always test. another way to help (Set the ink) is to soak the fabric in white vinegar/h2o when you originally wash it, this seems to help...i've tried just about everything over the years (made about 15 quilts with pictures)and the first of my recommendations has worked the best consistantly...but it always matters if i have (cheap ink/good ink)
good luck, trial and error is how we learn :)